October 18, 2000
Sadie Greening Sparks
Copyright Information and Restrictions:
Information from these RESOURCE PAGES has been provided for the free use of those engaged in non-commercial genealogical research .. Any and all commercial use is
strictly prohibited. Researchers may copy and distribute this work, but ONLY with written permission of the Author, and with the provision that it may only be copied
and circulated in its entirety -- including this notice, as well as all sources, bibliographies and credits. Permission is Not Granted to copy any of these RESOURCE Page files to other
electronic locations - whether web pages or list postings.
Extant records clearly indicate that Richard Swepson's son John (born July 19, 1759 , and John Swepston, (born @ 1761-2, King & Queen cty., VA,, Enlisted as a Fifer in King & Queen Co., m. Dolly Ashford and lived in Pittsylvania and Franklin ctes., VA) are not the same person. Of greatest probative value in this regard are the North Carolina estate records, Warren cty., & Wake counties, showing that John Swepson died before August 27, 1805, and that his estate was handled by members of the family of his sister, Sarah [Swepson] Sims. Also helpful is the Revolutionary pension file of John Swepston, wherein he is said to have been born in King & Queen county about 1761, at which time Richard Swepson's family resided in Lunenburg Co, Va., and prior to that Richard Swepson lived in Prince Edward Co, and Amelia Co, Va.
John Swepson, Greene cty., GA I believe this is John Swepson of Mecklenburg, VA, son of Richard.
The power of attorney that John gave to his brother Richard Swepson, Jr., in 1784 indicates that he planned to be far away from Mecklenburg Co for an extended period of time. He had also recently sold out his holdings in Mecklenburg Co. He was back in the area in 1790, probably for the settlement of his father's estate, as provided in his father's will, as he and his brother Richard, Jr. executed a deed in Granville Co, NC that same year. He died prior to Aug, 1805 as his Est. was Administered by John Sims (His nephew) in Warren Co., NC.--Sec. on Bond: Leonard Sims (His brother-in-law) & Anderson Paschall.
JOHN SWEPSON, OF MECKLENBURG, VA (SON OF RICHARD SWEPSON)
born: July, 19, 1759
died: before August 27, 1805
Revolutionary War records(ref. Elliott's compilation of Mecklenburg Publick Claims) - Committee of Safety- John Swepson, Clerk
Also, Council of State Journal, Vol 2, P 21- John Swepston, Clerk of Committee of Safety, along with Daniel Hurt, apparently succeeding Isaac Holmes, who entered the service, shortly after 1776.
Also, For Continental Use Service of wagon, team & driver for 23 days provision found by the public (Order Bk 5, P 154 )
John Swepson also served from the State of North Carolina: (Ref: NC Revolutionary Army Accounts, John Swepson, Vol XL 30 P 3
Mecklenburg DeedsDB4, P 529-Dec 2, 1775 Charles Duncan & Co, Merchants of Pr George Co and Julius Burton of Granville Co NC to Robert Christopher of Meck- Wit for Duncan: John Swepson, A Johnston, Thos Field, Dudley Brooks, James Hyde, William Potter Wit for J Burton: David Mitchell, Thos Satterwhite, Stephen Sneed, Charles Mitchell Rec Oct 14, 1776
DB 5, P 120- Meck Co Va 9/27/1777- Obadiah Cockham (Cockerham) of Meck to Job Hanson abt 200 A in Meck -- Wit: Richard (X) Hailey, Thos. Tureman, Thos (X) Cockerham, JOHN SWEPSON, Wm Ford, Thos. (VI his Mark) Garrett- Pro by John ( his mark) Robertson, Jr ( "I heard the w/i deed acknowledged ") Nov 10, 1777--- none of the Witnesses app in Crt to Prove this deed when it was rec'd.
DB 5, P 215- March 9, 1777 Joshua & Elizabeth Moss of Meck to Samuel Edmondson of Meck: Wit: John Swepson, John Oliver, Robert Crawley Rec 3/9/177 i
(The following is what is left of a bond, from Baskerville Family Papers) (Front Side:)
J___10,1779 Meck. Co.
I do hereby promise to ____wer at the Inspection at (Cahenty?) or Blandford fifteen thousand W. of Tob. ___ to John Swepson & Co., on or before the first day of March, __79. Signed: Lewis Burwell Witness: Edw (Farish?)
Back Side: The only words that can be made out are "Inspector", Richmond, March 1, 1779
DB 5, P 484- Sept 1, 1779 Mark Skelton of Dist 96, SC to Edward Walton of Meck-Wit: Richard Swepson, Jr ., John Swepson, Joseph Butler, Samuel Young, A Robison Rec- 9/13/1779
DB 6, P 9, Feb.14, 1780 James Sandefur of Meck to James Sandifur, Jr of Meck-Wit: John Swepson, Richard Swepson, Jr, Benjamin Lugh Rec 2/14/1780
DB 6, P 87 7/10/1780 John & wife, Martha Durham of Meck to Swepson Jeffries, of Meck : Wit: Clausel Clausel, James Anderson, John Swepson, Rec 9/11/1780
DB 6, P 93-9/11/1780 Abraham Crowder of Meck to Godfrey Crowder of Meck-Wit: John Swepson, A Young, J Coleman Rec 9/11/1780
DB 6, P 97- 5/26/1780 Francis & wife Dorcas Clarke of Meck to Swepson Jeffries of Meck-Wit: Clausel Clausel, Sherwood Hix, John Swepson, Richard Swepson, Jr, Thos Pritchet Rec 10/9/1780
DB 6, P 129- July 9, 1781-Matthew & wife Mary Marrable of Charlotte Co, Va to John Swepson of Meck for 15,000 f sev tracts of land in Meck on Coleman's Cr and Allen's Cr containing abt 1,255A contiguous and adjoining Sig: Matthew Marable Wit: None Mary Marrable, wife of Matthew Marrable came into court and voluntarily relinq. dower rights, after first being privately examined. Rec- July 9, 1781
DB 6, P 153- Sept 10, 1781-Stephen Mallott Jr & Wife Mary Mallott of Meck to John Swepson of Meck for 4,000 f abt 200 A in Meck N/S Coleman's Cr Signed; Stephen Mallott, Jr Mary Mallott wife of sd Stephen Mallott Jr came into court and relinq. dower rights, after first being privately examined. Wit: None Rec: Nov 12, 1781
DB 6, P 164-October ( ) 1781- John Taylor of Meck to John Swepson of Meck for 1,000 f equal to gold at 5 f per oz or silver at 6/8/3 per oz abt 1600 A in Meck on S/S Roanoke River on Taylor's mill Cr. It is all that tract of land given to sd John Taylor by his father Edmund Taylor as his Meck deed of gift. Wit: Swepson Jeffries, Charles Allen, James Hughes, Richard Swepson, Jr, Achilles Jeffries, Thos Swepson, Rec Feb 11, 1782
DB 6, P 194-April 21, 1782 John Banister of Dinwiddle Co to William Randolph of Meck-Wit: Robert Munford, Henry Walker, Alex'r Walker Jno Swepson, C Clark, John S Clack Rec Aug 13, 1782
DB 6, P 209-April 13, 1782 Thomas Rudd of Lun Co to Allen Young of Meck Co abt 396 A in Meck-Wit: Jno Swepson, Peter Hutcheson, Thomas Daniel Jno Young? Tignal Jones, Jr Rec Nov 11, 1782
DB 6, P 186- June 19, 1782 John Swepson of Meck to Thomas Goode of Meck for 40,000 pds of tobacco, one certain tract of land in Meck being all the land conveyed to me by John Taylor's deed 1781 except 1,000 A sold to Nehemiah Long, to which land the tract hereby conveyed is contiguous and joins the lands of George White, George Duncan, Robert Crawley, & Henry Cavenus, containing 761 A. Excepted is about 200 A where Timothy Smith now lives, during his natural life. Sig: Jno. Swepson, Wit: Clausel Clausel, Matthew Hawkins, Edmund Cradock, James Anderson Rec: July 8, 1782
DB 6, P 191 July 16, 1782 John Swepson of Meck to Nehemiah Long of Northampton Co, NC for 1300 f about 1,000 A in Meck on Roanoke River, bnd'd by lands of Wm Taylor, George White, Henry Cavenous, George Tarry, Signed: John Swepson Wit: Samuel Deadmon, James Anderson, Matthew Hawkins, William Taylor, James Taylor. Rec Aug 12, 1782
DB 6, P219 Oct 3l 1782 Abram Morris of Meck to Wm Renn Northcross of Meck abt 50 A in Meck Adj Turner, Standback's & Jackson's line, Hamner, Harris & & John Swepson. Rec 12/9/1782
DB 6, P 280 July 3, 1783- John Swepson of Meck to Jesse Brown of Southampton Co, Va for 800 f abt 500 A in Meck known by the name of Runaway Castle, being the land the said Swepson bought of Matt Marable by deed which lands sd Marable bought of Field Farrar,, Charles Hames, & Daniel Hutt by sev deeds. Sig: Jno Swepson Wit: John Colthorp, John Farrar, Wm Pointer, Rich'd Swepson, Jr, Clau. Clausel Rec: July 14, 1783
DB 6, P 282 May 17, 1783 John Swepson of Meck to George Stanback & Francis Ruffin of Meck for 800 f about 800 A in Meck conveyed to sd Swepson by Matthew Marable being the land conveyed to sd Marable by James & John Coleman by Meck deeds. Sig: Jno Swepson Wit: A Young, Wm Lucas, W Baskerville, David Dortch Rec Jul 14, 1783
Power of Attorney to Richard Swepson, Jr.
DB 6, P 397 I, John Swepson of Meck Co relying on the faith, trust, and fidelity of my brother, Richard Swepson, Jr. appoint him my special attorney and agent to perform whatever business has or may occur, and to prosecute or settle any suits at law. Signed: May 30, 1784 John Swepson Wit: William Baskerville, George Hunt Baskerville Rec: Sept 13, 1784
(See Greene, Franklin Co, Ga. Records, below)
SEE NORTH CAROLINA Records Below
See SOUTH CAROLINA Records Below
History of Greene County,
Fifth Tax Collector of Greene cty.,
Among those who owned over 1000 acres of land in the county before 1788
LAND GRANT to
JOHN SWEPSON , Greene Co, 300
A , 1789 , Grant Bk SSS, P 341
[ref. Index to the Headright & Bounty Grants of Georgia 1756-1909 by The Rev Silas E Lucas, Jr]
SEE LAND FRAUDS OF GEORGIA
" And again, by section IX of the Act of February 22, 1785, the General Assembly enacted: "And
whereas, it is apprehended that great abuses have happened in regard to bounties, Be it therefore enacted… That in future…."6
Hundreds of vouchers or preliminary certificates intended to induce the issuance of warrants were signed by former officers,
who then bought those warrants and had grants issued thereon to themselves. There are on file in the Georgia Department of
Archives and History petitions containing the names of twenty or more men, all in the same handwriting, alleged by the
certifying officer to have been entitles to bounty, praying that their bounties be granted to that officer. Among the worst
offenders who thus acquired thousands of acres were Peter Carnes, Elijah Clarke, Leonard Marbury, Horatio Marbury, John
Gorham, Edward Telfair, Ignatius Few, Zachariah Philips, Micajah Williamson, and Richard Call. "
(2) 9/15 /1786-FRANKLIN Co, Ga- DB H P 150- from Horatio Marbury of Rich Co, Ga to JOHN SWEPSTON of Greene Co, Ga- in cons. of 2,000 Pds., conveys 4,000 AC ? in Frank Co Ga granted to sd. Marbury 9/1/1786. Wts: Henry Allison, Thomas Brooks, JP
(1) Columbia Co, GA-----6/29/1786 John Swepson 1 of wit to deed of John & wife/Catherine Garrett of Augusta, Rich Co & Benjamin Rees of Wrightsboro, Richmond Co.
(3) Franklin Co, Ga- 6/7/1788 JOHN SWEPSON wit deed Sanders Walker , Wilkes Co to Joseph Howard, Greene Co.
(4) Franklin Co, Ga-7/9/1788,DB C, P 54 Micajah Williamson & wife Sally to JOHN SWEPSON of Greene Co, in cons,. of 1000 Pds., conveys 6,640 AC in FRANK LIN Co-, adj. sd. Williamson, b/b on the NE by N. Fok Oconee Riv., on the NE by the Washington Co. line, now Greene Co. line., grtd to sd. Williamson by Governor 7/25/1787. Wts: J. ? Pannill, R. Middleton, JP
(5) DBk C, P 52-4/3/1789-FRANKLIN Co, Ga-JOHN SWEPSON of Greene Co, Ga to Heirs of John Brownfield of Wilkes Co, Ga In cons. of 500 Pds. 500 AC in Frank Co, on S/S of N/Fork Oconee Riv., in the Reserve, Adj. a survey made for George McFalls, being pt of 6,650 AC trct grtd Micajah Williamson 7/25/1787, and conveyed to SWEPSTON 7/9/1787.Sig: J. Swepson Wts: Benjamin Knox, Barret Brewer,? William Morgan, JP
(6) Franklin Co Ga-3/27/1792 DBH, P 149-150-Elias Ward of Burke Co, Ga to JOHN SWEPSON of Greene Co, Ga. in cons. of 1000 Pds., 5,175 AC in Franklin Co on a fork of Oconee riv., grtd to John Peter Wagnon 9/1/1786 , ( deed by Wagnon & wife/ Rebecca of Augusta, Ga to Elias Ward of Burke Co.) Wts: Leonard Peck, Jno. Peck, Thos. Spight Sworn to by John Peck., Jr before John Tankersley, JP, Columbia Co, Ga Nov 24, 1792
(7) Franklin Co, Ga- 7/23/1792-DB H, P 49-50 JOHN SWEPSON of Greene Co, Ga to Zachariah Cox of Wilkes Co, Ga-in cons, of 10,000 pds., conveys (9?) tracts of land., all in FRANK Co, Ga in the Continental Reserve. as follows: (a) 5,175 AC on N/Fork Oconee riv., adj. Marbury, Walton, Cobb., grtd. to John Peter Wagnon, Sept 1, 1786 and deeded by sd Wagnon and wife Rebeccah, to Elias Ward Jan 1, 1790 and by Ward deeded to sd. Swepson Mar. 27, 1792; (b) 4,025 AC on Marbury's Crk, adj. Leonard Marbury, Baker, Horatio Marbury, grtd. to HoratioMarbury Sept 1, 1786, and conveyed by him to sd Swepson Sept 15, 1786; (c) 6,640 AC on N. Fork Oconee Riv., b/on SE Side by the Washington Co., line, adj. Williamson, grtd to Micajah Williamson July 25, 1787, and deeded by him to sd. Swepson, July 9, 1788. Wts: Signor Cosby, Daniel Gaines, JP
(8) Greene Co DB B, P 70 Nov 3, 1792 John Swepson to Littleton Mapp, Sr, 300 AC near head of So. fork of Powell's Creek on head of Jackson Fork of shoulderbone, adj. Wall, Cain, & Williamson. Wts: John Mapp, B. Jeffries, Jacob Cain.
(9) Franklin Co, Ga- 12/12/1792 DB H, P 154-155 Zachariah Cox of Wash Co, Ga. to Hon Thomas Johnson of Fred Co, MD- in cons. of 500 Pds., conveys 4,025 AC in Frank Co, Ga on Marbury's Crk., adj. Leonard Marbury, Baker, Horatio Marbury, grtd. to Horatio Marbury Sept 1, 1786, and conv. by Horatio Marbury to John Swepson Sept 15, 1786, and conveyed by Swepson to sd. Cox, July 3, 1792. Sig: Zach. Cox Wts: George Naylor, Joseph Groves, Samuel Beckom, JP
(10) Frank. Co, Ga-Bk KK, P 132B-133-October 30, 1794-Power of Attorney-from George Hening of Franklin Co, Ga to Thomas P Carnes of Augusta, Ga. to sell land Hening purchased in Tax Collector's sale, -Wts: James Cooper, John Swepson
(11) Sept 3, 1794-KK, 133-134 Zachariah Cox, of Mont. Co, Ga to Major George Naylor, of Richmond Co.,in cons. of 1,000 Pds., supposed to contain 6,640 AC but was found to contain 12, 500 AC--refers to land purchased from John Swepson
(12) Sept 3, 1794 Bk KK, P 134-135 Zachariah Cox of Mont Co, Ga to Major George Naylor of Richmond Co, Ga- in cons. of 500 Pds., -690 AC , refers to land purchased from John Swepson
(13) Frank Co, Ga 12/18/1794- DB KK P 111B-113B George Naylor, late of Augusta, Ga, but now of Philadelphia, Pa, to Nathan Fields & Joshua Harlen of Phila., PA, merchants, in cons. of five pounds?, 12.500 AC in Frank Co, Ga extending to Greene Co line, grtd to Micajah Williamson 7/27/1787 and sold to JOHN SWEPSON and by him conveyed to Zachariah Cox and by him conveyed to sd Naylor. Wts: John W O Gibson, Thomas Harwood, Jr., Ack by George Naylor before Edward Shippen, Judge of Supreme Crt of Philadelphia
SOUTH CAROLINA RECORDS
South Carolina Dept of Archives & History, Digital Library Collection
Series Number: S213190 Volume: 0006 Page: 00289 Item: 00
Date : 1784/07/09
Description : SWEPSON, JOHN, PLAT FOR 640 ACRES ON FORK OF BLACK RIVER SWAMP, CAMDEN DISTRICT, SURVEYED BY JOSEPH CANTEY.
Names Indexed : SWEPSON, JOHN/CANTEY, JOSEPH/STONE, ROWLAND/RIGWAY/RIDGELL, RICHARD/RIDGELL, JOHN/SOWDER, MRS./HODGES, JAMES/
Locations : CAMDEN DISTRICT/BLACK RIVER SWAMP
Type : PLAT/
Series Number: S213190 Volume: 0032 Page: 00247 Item 01
Description: SWEPSON, JOHN, PLAT FOR 25,528 ACRES ON LYNCHES CREEK, CAMDEN DISTRICT, SURVEYED BY ROBERT ELLISON.
Names Indexed: SWEPSON, JOHN/ELLISON, ROBERT/MCKAY, JOSEPH/KING, BERRY/HEWLAND, MRS./
Locations: LYNCHES CREEK/CAMDEN DISTRICT
Series Number: S213190 Volume: 0032 Page: 00248 Item 01
Date : 1793/09/02
Description : SWEPSON, JOHN, PLAT 6,114 ACRES ON BRANCH OF BLACK CREEK, CAMDEN DISTRICT, SURVEYED BY ROBERT ELLISON.
Names Indexed : SWEPSON, JOHN/ELLISON, ROBERT/MALONE, WILLIAM/
Locations : BLACK RIVER/CAMDEN DISTRICT
Type : PLAT/
Series Number: S213190 Volume: 0032 Page: 00249 Item 01
Description: SWEPSON, JOHN, PLAT FOR 15,360 ACRES BETWEEN BLACK RIVER AND LYNCHES CREEK, CAMDEN DISTRICT, SURVEYED BY ROBERT ELLISON.
Names Indexed: SWEPSON, JOHN/ELLISON, ROBERT/
Locations: BLACK RIVER/LYNCHES CREEK/CAMDEN DISTRICT-Type: PLAT/
Series Number S213212 Volume: 0001 Page: 00028 Item: 00
Date : 1793/09/02
Description : SWEPSON, JOHN, PLAT FOR 18,225 ACRES BETWEEN LUNCHES AND JEFFRYS CREEKS, CHERAW DISTRICT, SURVEYED BY ROBERT ELLISON (2 PAGES).
Names Indexed : SWEPSON, JOHN/ELLISON, ROBERT//LEE, DAVID/NETTLES, ZACHARIAH/
Locations : LYNCHES CREEK/CHERAWS DISTRICT/JEFFERIES CREEK/LONG BRANCH Type: PLAT
Series: S213212 Volume: 0001 Page: 00173 Item:
010 Date: 9/2/1793
Description: SWEPSON, JOHN, PLAT FOR 8,720 ACRES BETWEEN JEFFRYS CREEK AND LAKE SWAMP, CHERAW DISTRICT, SURVEYED BY ROBERT ELLISON.
Names indexed: BIRD, WILLIAM; BOUTWELL, LONEY; ELLISON, ROBERT; HIXEN, THOMAS; NORTHCUT, WILLIAM; PROTHRO, EVAN; SMITH, EZEKIEL; SWEPSON, JOHN; TRUAT, ELIJAH; ZIMMERMAN, WILLIAM
Locations: CHERAW DISTRICT; JEFFREYS CREEK; LAKE SWAMP; LYNCHES CREEK Document type: PLAT
Series Number: S213190 Volume: 0033 Page: 00035 Item:
Description: HALLIDAY, JOHN, PLAT FOR 2,510 ACRES ON DEEP HOLE SWAMP, CHERAW DISTRICT, SURVEYED BY BENJAMIN DUBOSE FOR JOHN SWEPSON ON AUGUST 28, 1793.
Names Indexed: HALLIDAY, JOHN/DUBOSE, BENJAMIN/SWEPSON, JOHN/DUBOSE, JOHN/SAUL, ABRAHAM/HUGGINS, JOHN/WILSON, JOHN/POPWEL, GEORGE/
Locations: LYNCHES CREEK/DEEP HOLE SWAMP/CHERAWS DISTRICT-Type: PLAT/
North Carolina Records, (MARS Index, NC Dept of A & H)
REVOLUTIONARY ARM ACCOUNTS, NORTH CAROLINA-
John Swepson -Volume-XI 30 P. 3
Co. NC- DB 2, P 218-219-Sept. 27, 1790-John Swepson & Richard Swepson,
Jr,., for 65 Pds. 3 slaves, to Thomas Mutter. Wits: Robert Boyd,
Robert Hester, & John Brown
(John Swepson obviously made a trip back to NC/Virginia, as this is the year his father's estate was to be finalized, according to his will.)
ABSTRACTS OF WARREN CO, NC- PROBATE COURT RECORDS-(KERR) WB 13, p 154- Aug 27, 1805;Aug Crt 1805-Est of JOHN SWEPSTON-Dec'd- JOHN SIMS, Adm. Bond -for10,000 pds to Philemon Hawkins, Dudley Clanton & Richard Davison,Justices. SECurity- Anderson Paschall & LENARD H SIMS. Wit: Jo Terrell, D.C.C----
WAKE CO , NC Wills & Estates- P 123 & 179-1809-Lewis Poole Est-refers to Note [Dated 1789] due from JOHN SWEPSON, now dec'd. [See also: WB 10- P 148 ]
[Back to top of Page]
Parentage of this John Swepston is not known to us.-He is NOT the son of Richard Swepson of Amelia, Prince Edward, Lunenburg & Mecklenburg Counties, Va-sgs
Born: Abt. 1761-2, King & Queen County, VA
Married: Dolly Ashford, March 6, 1790, Pittsylvania, VA
Died: January 21, 1853, Franklin cty., VA
REVOLUTIONARY WAR PENSION RECORDS
PENSION APPLICATION. # S15999- JOHN SWEPSTON- Born King &
Queen Co,VA; Enlisted King & Queen Co, Va, (Fifer), Va. Militia)
the Revolution, lived in PITTSYLvania Co, Va for abt 20 yrs , and abt 1826,
moved to Franklin CO VA- Pens appl approved Nov 5, 1832, at which time he
was abt 71 yrs, and resided in Franklin Co, Va. Enumerated on 1835 Virginia Pension roll as 73 years
old-He died Jan 21, 1853.
$88.00 Annual Allowance
$264.00 Amount Rec'd.
Feb. 5, 1834 Pension Started -AGE 73
Early Va. Tax Lists: (Richard Sr & Richard Jr enumerated in Meck. Co.-Richard's son John was in Green Co, Ga. @ this time.
|SWEPSON, THOMAS||Richmond City 1787|
|SWEPSTON, THOMAS||Hanover, (Tax List 'B') 1787||"under age" [not tithable]|
|SWEPSTON, JOHN||Hanover, (Tax List 'B') 1787||with Thomas Swepston, may also be underage|
|SWEPSTON, JOHN||Chesterfield Pers. Property 1788|
|SWEPSTON, THOMAS||Hanover, 1788-91|
|SWAPSTON, THOMAS||Hanover, 1792-94|
Records, 1820 Pittsylvania Co, Va
P 68 John Swepston 1 M 26-45 2 M und 5, 1 Fe 16-26 2 Fe Und 10 (M) Winney Bruce
P 76 Thomas Swepston 1 Male 45+ 1 Fe 45+ 1 Fe Und 5 -was born prior to 1775
(Missing 1830)-TOO OLD to be s/o John & Dolly Ashford Swepston-sgs
Cannot be Thomas of Nansemond Co, as he died 1819
P 77 John Swepston 1 M 45+ 1 M 16-26 1 M 16-18, 2 M 10-16 1 Fe 45+, 2 Fe 10-16 (M) Dolly Ashford 1791 (According to REV WAR Pens. Appl. He was b. abt 1761 King & Queen Co, Va
Pittsylvania co, (John & Dolly Ashford Swepston family)
P 371 Dorothy Swebster (Swepston) 1 M 70-80, 1 M 5-10, 1 M Und 5, 1 Fe 60-70, 1 Fe 20-30, 1 Fe Und 5
P 372 George Swebster (Swepston) 1 M 30-40, 1 Fe 20-30, 1 Fe 15-20, 1 Fe Und 5 (M) Mary Polly Elliott
John Swepston (M) Dolly Ashford March 31, 1790 Pittsylvania Co., Va
Thomas Swepson (M) Elizabeth Atkinson Oct. 31, 1807 Pittsylvania Co, Va
Surety for Thomas and Elizabeth's marriage was Leonard DOVE. In requesting the license, William TUNSTALL's note says "she has been a free agent for ten years". Their bond was issued 29 Oct 1807, but they were actually married 31 Oct by the Rev. Griffith DICKINSON.
A Swepston (M) Winnie Bruce Jan 25, (Feb. 4) 1813 Pittsylvania Co, Va
William Swepston (M) Martha May March 15, 1828 Pittsylvania Co, V
Perhaps this same John Swepston: Below?
Co, Va, Marriage Bonds, 1782-1853 (Michael E. Pollock)
May 5, 1788 Nathaniel Cousins (M) Kitty Miles, consent of her parents Henry & Sarah Miles. Wits. to consent-William Liggins
Surety: Jno. Sweptson (Courtesy-Jackie Pierandri)
[Back to Top of Page]